What do you ask yourself every day?
When it comes to self-reflection, asking yourself active questions rather than passive ones, changes the focus of your answers. It can empower you to make changes you wouldn't otherwise consider.
For example: "Do you have clear goals?" is a passive question regarding a specific outcome, the answer is either a 'Yes' or a 'No'.
On the other hand: "Did you do your best to set clear goals for yourself?" challenges the person to describe or defend a course of action.
Marshall Goldsmith shares six active daily questions he uses himself and with many of his CEO clients:
1. Did I do my best to increase my happiness?
2. Did I do my best to find meaning?
3. Did I do my best to be engaged?
4. Did I do my best to build positive relationships?
5. Did I do my best to set clear goals?
6. Did I do my best to make progress toward goal achievement?
The results are impressive in a study of over 2500 participants on the impact of this approach:
- 0% reported no negative change,
- 11% reported no improvement,
- 37% reported improvement on all six,
- 65% on at least four,
- 89% on at least one.
▶️ Do you ask yourself any daily questions?
▶️ Do you think this approach could provide benefit to you?
Hear what others had to say to this post and questions - here.